As immediate action, I tried to renew the provisioning files with iOS developer portal. It does not provide an option for renewing distribution profiles but developer provisioning was given an option to renew. The same goes for trying to renew with xcode organizer.
A quick search on Google and StackOverflow to know what will happen once the provisioning file get expired. After referring few wrong posts I come to the conclusion app will continue to work. Only later I come to know they are wrong (atleast in this case) #Mistake1
As per "Ain't broke don't fix it" golden rule, I didn't take any action. I thought, Renew button on distribution provision wouldappear once it get expire. The worst case scenario I expected was distributing a new build.
The day comes and provision file expired for all of us at same moment, I had no timezone advantage (UTC knows no mercy). #Mistake2
It was hard to come to this conclusion at the time, deleting the provisioning file of a suspended app and removing it from background seems to work. I had to restart the device to confirm. Also later it was showing "Expires in 0 hour" and "Expired 0 hour ago". There was no minutes so I had to wait like till the very last minute for testing.
Duplicate KeychainI had paid a price for having very little knowledge about Keychain Access and their certificates. Though I deleted all my developer and distribution certificates under Certificates category, xcode was nagging about the duplicate. #Mistake3
I gave up on the idea of providing new build with same AppID and tried a new AppID. No sugar there, stupid xcode and keychain util. Yes I tried the View->show expired certificates too.
Finally I had to find the directory where xcode save the profile and delete manually. Also I have to search for "
Xcode updates and iOS 6 depcrecation of supportedInterfaceOrientations
TL;DR - Lessons learned
- Application will not work once provisioning profile expired.
- Provisioning expiry time is UTC i.e., No timezone advantage even if you are NZ dev supporting PST customer.
- No way you could get a correct answer for Keychain Access and Provisioning file issues. Closed systems and DRM, even after paying large sum for devices and development you can't install app without mothership's cryptic certificates.
- XCode upgrades and Deployment targets are not your friends.
- iOS 6 Autorotation behaviour is your enemy when you build ios 5.1 target.